Homemade Pan Release (Better than Pam!!)
1/2 cup corn oil or 1/2 cup canola oil or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature (Crisco shortening is good)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1. Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. Using an electric mixer beat until mixture has increased in volume slightly and resembles marshmallow cream.
3. Place in a container with a lid and store on the counter or in a cupboard (in hot weather it may be refrigerated).
4. The mixture tends to separate slightly upon sitting in your cupboard or refrigerator so mix before using, then brush pans using a pastry brush or a clean paper towel.
5. You may wish to use butter flavored shortening. Or, when making a cake or cookies, use cocoa powder in place of the flour. Either way?you will not have the brown ?goo? on your pans as you do with the sprays?.ick!!
Submitted by Kari from Illinois
original recipe submitted by Kittencal to Food.com
Apr 24, 2012 7:40 AM
interesting. didnt know i could do that
Apr 24, 2012 3:46 AM
interesting, sounds like a money saver
Apr 23, 2012 10:19 PM
I think i'm going to try this but only make half a recipe since i don't bake as often as i used to.
Apr 23, 2012 8:48 PM
Isn't this the same thing as using a little butter or crisco and then dust with flour? What is so original about this recipe?
Apr 23, 2012 2:05 PM
Never would have thought of this! Thanks
Apr 23, 2012 1:59 PM
I tried non stick sprays and just went back to using either butter or olive oil. Both are always on hand.
Apr 23, 2012 12:56 PM
What will they think of next<br>
Apr 23, 2012 10:20 AM
I found this tip somewhere else and just made/used it last week..works great!
Apr 23, 2012 10:18 AM
thanks so much. will do this one for sure.
Apr 23, 2012 9:04 AM
great idea, I'm gonna try this
Apr 23, 2012 7:28 AM
I normally just use flour and it works.
Apr 23, 2012 7:17 AM
I think i'm too lazy, but thanks.
Apr 23, 2012 7:16 AM
ty Kari. I like to use the paper butter is wrapped in. I keep used papers in a zip lock bag in the freezer. :)
Go back to the Main Page of the Archives.
Do you have a Helpful Hint of your own?
Tell us about it and we might publish it.
Do you have problem? Maybe we can help.
Click Here to tell us about it.