1 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 cup granulated sugar
3/8 cup dry bread crumbs
3 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and halved
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Roll out each sheet of pastry to measure 12x12 inches. Cut into quarters, to make 8 - 6 inch squares.
3. In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar, bread crumbs, cinnamon and nutmeg. Brush a pastry square with beaten egg. Place 1 tablespoon bread crumb mixture in center. Place one apple half, core side down, over bread crumbs. Top with another tablespoon of mixture. Pull up four corners of pastry and pinch sides together to seal seams completely. Repeat with remaining pastry squares and ingredients.
4. Brush each dumpling with beaten egg. Place in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees. Continue baking for 20 - 25 minutes more, until lightly browned. Let cool completely at room temperature.
5. To make icing, combine confectioner's sugar and vanilla and enough milk to make a drizzle consistency. Drizzle over cooled dumplings. Serve and enjoy.
Submitted by Patricia from Oklahoma.